A listing of member publications, journals, podcasts and resources dedicated to the Health Humanities. This is not meant to be an exhaustive list but a selection of foundational works.
- Vital: A Health Humanities Magazine
- Medical Humanities
- Hektoen International
- Ars Medica
- Literature & Medicine
- Bellevue Literary Review
- The Examined Life Journal (UIowa)
- The Healing Muse (SUNY Upstate)
- Health Affairs: Narrative Matters
- Pulse-First Person Accounts of Health & Medicine
- Medical Encounter
- Narrative Inquiry in Bioethics
- International Journal of the Creative Arts in Interdisciplinary Practice
- Journal of Literary & Cultural Disability Studies
- Pegasus Review: A Medical Literary Review Journal
- Rhetoric of Health & Medicine
- Synapsis: A Health Humanities Journal
- NYU Literature, Arts & Medicine Database
- Report on Undergraduate Health/Medical Humanities Programs (Berry, Lamb, & Jones)
- Health Stories
- Graphic Medicine Podcast
- Medical Humanities (BMJ)
- The Art of Medicine
- Centre for Medical Humanities and Ethics (Durham University)
- Klugman C & Lamb EG (2019). Research Methods in Health Humanities. Oxford University Press.
- Quentin Eichbaum, MD, PhD, MPH, MFA, MMHC, Steve Reid, MBChB, MMed, PhD, Ayo Coly, PhD, Thirusha Naidu, PhD, and Francis Omaswa, MBChB, MMed. EICHBAUM et al – Conceptualizing Medical Humanities Programs in Low-Resource Settings in Africa – Acad Med 2019 Academic Medicine, Vol. 94, No. 8 / August 2019.
- Liu EY, Batten J, Merrell SB, Shafer A. The long-term impact of a comprehensive scholarly concentration program in Biomedical Ethics and Medical Humanities. BMC Medical Education 18:2014, 2018 https://rdcu.be/5oRp
- Jones, Blackie, Garden, Wear. 2017. “The Almost Right Word: The Move from Medical to Health Humanities.” Academic Medicine 92(7: 932-935).
- Cole TR, NS Carlin and RA Carson. “Introducing the Medical Humanities.” In Medical Humanities: An Introduction, eds. T Cole, N Carlin and R Carson (New York: Cambridge U Press 2015, 1 – 18).
- Bleakley A. “Towards a ‘Critical Medical Humanities.'” In Medicine, Health and the Arts: Approaches to the Medical Humanities, eds. V Bates, A Bleakley, and S Goodman (London: Routledge 2014, 17 – 26).
- Jones T. “‘Oh, the humanit(ies)!’: Dissent, Democracy and Danger.” Medicine, Health and the Arts: Approaches to the Medical Humanities, eds. V Bates, A Bleakley, and S Goodman (London: Routledge 2014, 27 – 38).
- Jones T, D Wear and LD Friedman. “The Why, the What, and the How of the Medical/Health Humanities.” In Health Humanities Reader (New Brunswick: Rutgers U Press 2014, 1-9).
- Eichbaum QG. “Thinking about Thinking and Emotion: The Metacognitive Approach to the Medical Humanities that Integrates the Humanities with the Basic and Clinical Sciences.” The Permanente Journal 18 (4): 68-75.
- Pre-Health Humanities. Journal of Medical Humanities 38(4, December 2017).
- The Republics of Benjamin Rush. Early American Studies 15(2, Spring 2017). https://muse.jhu.edu/issue/36084
- ENTHYMEMA. Narrative and Medicine. Special Issue. 2016 (Issue 16). http://riviste.unimi.it/index.php/enthymema/issue/view/1010
- Sklar, David. 2018. “Health Humanities and Medical Education: Joined by a Common Purpose.” Academic Medicine 92(12: 1647-1649). Sklar.HeathHum.MedEd
- Anderson-Fye EP, Julia Knopes, Hillary Villarreal. Piloting an Undergraduate Survey Course in Medical Humanities and Social Medicine: Lessons, Tradeoffs, and Institutional Contexts. Journal of Humanities in Rehabilitation. 2018. https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/journalofhumanitiesinrehabilitation/2018/04/30/piloting-an-undergraduate-survey-course-in-medical-humanities-and-social-medicine-lessons-tradeoffs-and-institutional-context/
- Klugman, CM. Medical Humanities Teaching in North American Allopathic and Osteopathic Medical Schools. Journal of Medical Ethics. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10912-017-9491-z?wt_mc=Internal.Event.1.SEM.ArticleAuthorOnlineFirst
- Peterkin, Allan, David Sasso, Anna Skorzewska. The Arts and Humanities in Psychiatry…A Debut. Psychiatric Times. 2017. http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/cultural-psychiatry/arts-and-humanities-psychiatry-debut
- Stanford’s Medicine and The Muse special issue on humanities in medicine
- Yale Medicine’s special issue on humanities in medicine
- Graham J, Benson LM, Swanson J, Potyk D, Dartha K, Roberts K. Medical Humanities Coursework is Associated with Greater Measured Empathy in Medical Students. American Journal of Medicine 2016. vol 129: 1334-1337.
- Baruch, Jay. Doctors as Makers. Academic Medicine. 2017, vol 92 (Issue 1): 40-44.
- Jones T, Blackie M, Garden R, Wear D. The Almost Right Word: The Move from Medical to Health Humanities. Academic Medicine (2017; 2016 epub).
- Saffran L. ‘Only connect’: the case for public health humanities. Medical Humanities 2014. vol 40 (Issue 2): 105-110.